Monday, December 10, 2012

A Not so Day Trip to Greenwich

Today, Colleen, Roxanne and I set out for Greenwich. This is where the Prime Meridian is. We expected it to be a suburb outside of London but it is actually just a borough in London. We met at Victoria train station because I had looked and saw that trains to Greenwich run out of there. This was wrong information. We had to take the tube to Charring Cross and get the train at London Bridge. We expected a 45 minute train ride but it was only like 15 minutes max.

Once we were in Greenwich, we walked through Greenwich Park and up to the Royal Observatory. This is where the Prime Meridian line is. The Prime Meridian is the spot on longitude that is at 0 degrees. Basically you put a foot on either side of it so you are straddling the line and you are in 2 different time zones.  Sorry to report but you don't feel any different on either side. We walked through the Time Museum that they have as well and the astronomers house. We then walked down to the Queen's House. It is basically just a big art gallery now.























We went and got tea and cupcakes before heading back into the center of London. Our "day" trip ended up only being about 2 hours. It was not as exciting as we expected but I guess it was cool to say I have been in to time zones at once! I have a much more exciting week ahead for me. I have finished all my work aside from my exam on Wednesday. My entire last week is planned out. It should be a great last week in London. I can't believe how soon I go home. It almost seems more surreal then coming to London.

Cheers,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment