Friday, November 9, 2012

US Election in London

As I know everyone is aware, on Tuesday the US had their presidential election. Being abroad during this time I decided not to vote thinking it would be difficult to follow the race. If I vote I want to be an it to be an informed, and knowledgeable  decision I want to know what I am voting for and not just vote because I can. I could not have been more wrong however. The US Presidential election has been all over the papers after every debate and especially this week. I was able to stream the debates on my laptop and really follow the election. Bars were streaming the election on Tuesday night as well. We tried to go to one but the line was long and we decided it was not worth waiting to see if we could get in. Some bars were charging us to $65 cover charge to see it.

Everyone in the UK, and in Europe itself,  seems to be fascinated with the race. I can not tell you how many times I was asked who I was voting for or my opinion on the subject. It was usually one of the first things I was asked after meeting someone and telling them I was American. Even today when I was getting food, the man could tell from my accent that I was American and congratulated me on new president. My Russian roommates in Florence asked me as well. My professors have asked me the past few days if I am happy with the decision. It has actually been kind of annoying. Yesterday, I picked up newspaper and half the paper had different articles on Obama, Romney, their families, people feelings on the race, and anything else you can actually think of.

It was definitely different being an American in the UK during the presidential election. I was not expecting so much publicity on it. The opinions that many UK people had were crazy as well. They would start arguments over who they wanted to win when they can't even vote. I feel like in the US, we do not hear about different elections and political events from other countries as often, especially not as intensely as the UK has covered the US political stories. It was definitely a different experience being in the UK for the presidential election. But I am excited for all the hype to be over with so I am not bombarded with questions.


Cheers,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment