Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving in England

It is so weird to not be home for Thanksgiving this year. I remember talking to family and friends last year about how I wouldn't be around and now I actually am not. I have seen all my friends post things about going home and being on break. I still had to go to class today. I was going to skip seeing as it is a national holiday for me but I complained about my group missing seminars so I figured it probably was not the best if I skipped this week.  It was definitely weird sitting in class. Since Thanksgiving isn't celebrated out here it doesn't really feel much like Thanksgiving. Everything is decorated and Christmas is in full force. Luckily I have a lot of American friends so we made our own celebration and found a pub that was serving a three course Thanksgiving meal for pretty cheap. It was nothing like a New England Thanksgiving but it did the job and was actually pretty good.



Before: This was split between two people

After

Desert





























I have so much to be thankful for this year. My family to start with. They have been so supportive while I have been out here. I miss them all a lot and am excited to see them in 3 weeks when I come home. I couldn't ask for a better family. My friends, the new and old. My friends from home are always there for me. They really are the best and I know that if I need them they are their. My new friends from London. I am so happy I have met these girls. I feel so blessed to have found a good group of friends to share my experience abroad with. I love that we live so close at home as well. It is going to be so easy to stay in touch. I am so thankful for this experience. Studying abroad has been better than I ever could have imagined. This has honestly been the best 3 months of my life and I would not change this decision for the world. But this goes back to my family and friends because without them I probably wouldn't be able to be here. I could not be more thankful this year for everything I have experienced while being abroad. It really is life changing.

This year I ate my makeshift Thanksgiving meal and celebrated with my friends rather than my family. There were many British people having Thanksgiving dinner. We wanted to ask why they are celebrating it but we thought that could be weird. It was definitely a different type of Thanksgiving but we have made the most of it. (I have already requested a real one from daddy once I get home). I will be so much more excited next year when I get a real Thanksgiving dinner. I have been more homesick than I had anticipated today but I will talk to my family soon and hopefully feel better. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!



Cheers,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment