Monday, November 12, 2012

The Royal Mews and Queens Gallery

Today Colleen and I adventured to Buckingham Palace to go to the Royal Mews and the Queens Gallery. We wanted to see the state's room as well but it is closed until the middle of December. We started at the Queens Gallery. The gallery had a lot of different paintings, portraits, and a few tapestries. Their were also some sketches and drawings which were cool because you don't normally see those when you go into the galleries. Some of the paintings were a little weird but it is always interesting to read the descriptions.

















The Royal Mews was really cool. I heard about it from Auntie Chris and Uncle Tom. I am so happy they mentioned it. It holds all the carriages and cars that the Royal Family uses for special events and getting around the city. We saw some of the horses that pull the carriages as well. Each carriage has a different purpose and is used during different events. They were beautiful! Some of the carriages were given to the Royal Family by different countries. Each one was unique its own way. My favorite carriage was of course The Gold State Coach. It was gorgeous. The detail in the carvings was amazing. It really was beautiful. I can't even imagine being able to ride in it or see the queen riding in it down the street.




















I am slowly but surely getting through my bucket list. It needs to be put on hold for the next two weeks but I plan on getting through all of it and if not I want to be very close by the time I go home.

Cheers,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment